Orel State University named after I.S. Turgenev is the first Key University in Russia; the only multidisciplinary center in the region that conducts continuous training of specialists of all levels in the field of pedagogical, engineering, medical, natural-science and humanities education.
To date, the structure of the University is represented by 3 branches (Karachev, Livny and Mtsensk), 12 institutes and 13 faculties. This is 297 educational programs and more than 940 doctors and candidates of science teaching. About 19,000 students from 55 countries study at our University; more than 4,000 students are graduated annually. Almost the third of the students graduate with an honors degree. The University consists of:
- Center for Attracting Talented Youth;
- Center for Advanced Continuing Education;
- Center for Innovative Development of the Region.
Key University is also the center of socio-cultural development of the region. For this purpose there were created the following:
- The regional acceleration program for the development of voluntary initiatives - acceleration, consolidation, support and conversion of voluntary initiatives.
- Center for literary heritage: "Turgenev's language is the language of the world" for the promotion of the literary heritage of I.S. Turgenev.
- Agropedinstitute - preparation of rural school teacher.
- Association “A House of Gentlefolk” as the core of social initiatives - the creation of social, educational and cultural services.
The University's ecosystem is innovative one and includes:
- University clinic;
- Center for Collective Use of Scientific Equipment;
- Center for Interdisciplinary Studies;
- Business incubator;
- Center for Technology Transfer and Commercialization;
- Technology and Innovation Support Center;
- Translation Bureau;
- Center for Publicity Activity;
- Project office.
Specialized research schools for youth are the project that is aimed at creating a new model of additional education for the younger generation, able to work in future in high technology and high-tech industries:
- School of Robotics;
- School of Nanotechnology and Nanochemistry;
- School of the Young Architect;
- School of Biotechnology;
- School of Electronics and Instrumentation;
- School of the Young Entrepreneur.
Membership of the University and individual scientists in specialized associations:
- The CDIO / CDIO Initiative
- International Association for Continuing Education;
- Network of language partners of the French Embassy;
- Association of Foreign Students of Russia;
- Association of Russian-Azerbaijani Universities.
Academic Mobility Programs:
- Erasmus Mundus;
- Jean Monnet;
The OSU named after I.S. Turgenev is a comfortable environment for life, work and study:
- University campus (16 academic buildings and 9 student hostels);
- Student polyclinic;
- University clinic;
- Network of meal service objects;
- Fitness and sports complex;
- Swimming pool and indoor ice skating rink;
- Leisure center «Zelenyy Bereg»
The university also created all the conditions for developing the formative and creative potential of students:
- Regional Headquarters of Russian Students’ Teams;
- Center for Culture and Aesthetic Education;
- Center for History and Exposition Activities;
- The Joint Council of Students;
- Trade Union Organization of Students.
Students of the OSU named after I.S.Turgenev lead an active creative and sports life. At the University there are various theatrical, vocal and dance studios, as well as 20 sports sections.
Sport is an integral part of student life. It includes sports teams of the University on football, mini-football, basketball, volleyball, and work with individual athletes. Women’s mini-football team, men's football team, women's basketball team and men's volleyball team achieved high results in sports.
Many significant events took place during the existence of Key University:
- The University crossed over to education with CDIO approach.
- OSU named after I.S. Turgenev became the base for the Regional Competition of the Working Professions "Young Professionals" (WorldSkills Russia) of the Orel Region.
- Our University became a platform for the basketball competition “Match of Stars ASB 2017” in Orel.
- OSU named after I.S. Turgenev became the organizer of the Workout Championship among universities.
- The University Clinic was opened. It is the structural subdivision of the OSU named after I.S. Turgenev.
- Our University is regularly visited by foreign teachers and scientists for lecturing.
Students of Key University become winners and prize-winners not only of regional and all-Russian Olympiads, but also international ones. They take part in various international conferences, such as:
- Participation in the International Conference on Photonics "European Conference on Biomedical Optics" (Munich, Germany);
- Participation in the II International Conference "Tourism Dynamics and Trends" (University of Seville, Spain).
- Participation in the Summer School on Photonics and Optics (Oulu, Finland)
In addition, Key higher educational institution itself becomes a venue for international conferences and seminars:
- Seminar on the international ERASMUS + program and academic mobility;
- International scientific and practical conference on the basis of the Institute of Economics and Management, etc.
The University is visited by foreign delegations from all over the world: France, America, Iran, Vietnam, Armenia and others.